Cherokee County Kansas
County seat Columbus
Internet Providers | Newspapers |
Schools | Museums |
Libraries | Churches |
Graphics | Family History |
Notables | Local History |
Columbus Points of Interest |
Cherokee County Related Web Sites |
Cherokee County Newspapers
- Baxter Springs Citizen 123 W. 12th, Baxter Springs. 620-856-5163.
- Baxter Springs News 1242 Military Ave., Baxter Springs. 620-856-4081.
- Columbus Daily Advocate 215 S. Kansas, Columbus. 620-429-2773.
- Galena Sentinel Times 511 Main, Galena. 620-783-5034.
- Life Christian School, Columbus
- Colleges & Industrial
- Apostolic Faith Church Bible College Inc., Baxter Springs
- Coffeyville Community College, Columbus Campus Tech Div., Columbus
- Faith Christian Academy, Weir
- SE Kansas Voc Tech School, Columbus
- USD #247, Cherokee (Cherokee, Weir)
- USD #404, Riverton-Lowell
- USD #493, Columbus (Columbus, Greenlawn, Scammon, Spencer)
- USD #499, Galena
- USD #508, Baxter Springs
- BAXTER SPRINGS HERITAGE
CENTER AND MUSEUM email: firstname.lastname@example.org
BRUTUS INC., West Mineral. The world's second largest electric mining
shovel turned into a museum on coal miners and the mining industry. Climb
to the top of the boom, 16 stories high see the view for miles. 7 miles
North of Columbus on K7 and 6 miles West on K102. 620-827-6177.
- COLUMBUS MUSEUM, INC. 100 S. Tenn., Columbus. A colorful look at the
history of Columbus. Exhibits of vintage clothing, farm equipment, history
from Merle Evans (band leader of Ringling Brothers Circus for over 50 years)
and more. 620-429-2160.
- GALENA MINING & HISTORICAL MUSEUM 319 W. 7th, Galena. 620-783-2192.
Columbus Points of Interest
- A 1919 Seth Thomas clock,
only one of its kind in working order, housed in a 40 foot tower on the square
next to the courthouse.
CARNEGIE LIBRARY 205 N. Kansas. The library is one of 33 Andrew
Carnegie libraries in the state of Kansas. On the National Historic
Register. 620-429-2086. email email@example.com
- FRISCO CABOOSE & 3 WYE SWITCH Columbus Museum. The caboose is unique in that
it is one of 13 train cars converted into a caboose. With the caboose is
the Columbus Wye, a three way switch allowing trains to turn around, only
one of its kind.
- SPORTSMAN PITS & WILDLIFE AREA Provides great hunting and fishing
opportunities stocked ponds and lakes for fishing, as well as deer,
quail, dove and prairie chicken hunting. New canoe trail.
- 1880 COLUMBUS SQUARE Take a stroll around the 1880's square of Columbus
and visit our shops. You must not miss the turn of the century architecture,
or the unique color schemes of each building. Tour the community and see
the many historical churches and Victorian homes. Tour map available.
- DUKE WELLINGTON MURAL Scenic exploration of the history of Columbus and
Kansas. Displayed in the Columbus Community Building on East Maple.
- WAYLAND GREGORY SAND SCULPTURE Part of the postal service rural art
program of the 1930's. Displayed at the Community Building.
- COLUMBUS CITY PARK Picnics in the park, swimming pool, tennis courts,
horseshoes, volleyball and basketball courts. Playground equipment.
- REEVES PARK East Town Tennis courts, playground equipment, picnic,
Cherokee County Related Web Sites
This site is maintained by Tom & Carolyn Ward: firstname.lastname@example.org